Brain-Eating Amoeba Florida 2022 Symptoms, Saltwater, Spring
Brain-Eating Amoeba Florida 2022 Symptoms, Saltwater, Spring, Disney, beach, tapwater, ocean
The Florida teenager was recently admitted to a hospital due to what his family described as a rare infection caused by a “brain-eating amoeba” however an official of the state health department stated that the agency had not confirmed cases of the illness.
Caleb Ziegelbauer’s parents rushed his son to an emergency department after he suffered the symptoms described by NBC affiliate WBBH of Fort Myers as headaches and hallucinations. The symptoms first appeared around a week after the family and he went to the beaches at Port Charlotte, Florida, on July 1.
The doctors informed their parents that the brain-eating bacterium had been introduced into the body of the 13-year-old through his nose, and was able to infect the brain of the patient as the station reported. Since then, Caleb’s parents have stated that he is fighting to live at Golisano the Children’s Hospital.
Jeremy Redfern, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Health, did not want to discuss the matter due to rules regarding privacy but added: “What I can say with certainty is that we don’t have any instances” of primary amebic meningoencephalitis in Florida of meningoencephalitis primary which is a rare infection caused by Naegleria fowleriamoeba.
A case that was confirmed occurred in 2020, and there were two cases, Redfern claimed. The confirmation of a case comes from an epidemiological investigation, which includes tests and sending samples for analysis to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, he added.
“The entire public health system will be scrutinizing it,” Redfern said.
A spokesperson for Golisano Children’s Hospital was not available to speak with the media on privacy regulations, citing the hospital’s privacy policies.
The symptoms may begin as early as 1 day or a week after exposure. Initial symptoms can include:
- Changes in taste and smell,
- stiff neck,
- nausea, and vomiting.
The patient might experience confusion, ataxia (wobbliness) as well as seizures that can rapidly get worse over 3-7 days, and death occurs 7-14 days after exposure. People who suffer from the condition, typically young, are not likely to get medical attention immediately and are usually diagnosed via a scan of brain tissue autopsied. Source
Also Read: Skittles Candy Lawsuit And Titanium Dioxide